03 June 2015

Italia part due

After a few days in the yellow house in Abruzzo, we packed the car and headed south for Naples.
Our B&B, Zia Maria, was amazing and I can highly recommend it for anyone traveling to Naples and in need of a bright, clean and relaxing space - and cheap - with a rooftop terrace... Who wouldn't want to wake up to that view as well?
While Kathrine enjoyed her sun-time in Sorrento (she said it was beautiful and easily accessed by a 30 minute boat ride), Kristiane and Klaudia and I wandered the narrow streets of Naples.
We came by a little market and otherwise got lost in the streets of the Spanish quarter. Here, the clothes hung out to dry on intricate lines above our heads, and old ladies had things delivered to them by a wire up to their balconies. There were heavy gesturing, shouts, cars and scooters making their way down the streets, dogs and kids playing and so much life.
I love these little girls hanging out in front of the cool streetart.
I have a bad shoulder going on, so I tried to relieve it by trying the age old tourist trick known as the fanny pack around the waist. It went well and I fit right in.
We reached the top of the steep streets and were rewarded by one of the most impressive views I've ever seen. I was awestruck as I took in the long view of the city with all its chaotic rooftops, Vesuvius in the distance, the bay with the big cruise ships docking and the blue toned mountains in the horizon. What a place!
The girls sat on the wall; my fear of heights made me stay behind, even though there was a roof beneath the wall to catch you if you fell. I am becoming such a wuss in my old age...
So I took selfies instead.
At night, we went out for pizzas at Di Matteo on Via dei Tribunali (try it, it's an experience!) and enjoyed them with beers on the roof while the sun went down. It was the perfect way to end our flirt with Naples.
The next day we were bound for the airport to go home. We had a whole day to make the way from Naples to Rome and decided to go for a drive up the coast to see the little towns there scattered like pearls. After some car trouble (don't ever rent with Sicily by Car!), we finally made it to Gaeta, a little town built along a cliff reaching into the turquoise water. It was mesmerizing.
The weather was gorgeous.
22 minutes further up the coast, we reached Sperlonga, another coastal gem. It was wonderful.
My company. Not bad, eh?
 The view over the sea from the little town was pretty alright.
And of course, one last mirror selfie, this time with the whole gang. We loved you Italy, and we will be back for more!

2 comments:

MusicIsMySecret said...

Smukke, smukke billeder! Det lyder til at have været en vidunderlig tur. :)

karen sofie said...

MusicIsMySecret: Tusind tak - det var virkelig en vidunderlig tur! Kunne snildt gøre det hele igen :)